Tigers’ 12-game win streak ends with overtime loss at Florence

The 12-game win streak of the Hartselle Tigers ended with an 88-77 loss in overtime to Florence.

Florence opened the game on a 5-0 run. The Tigers answered with an 8-0 run that was started by Brody Peebles’ free throws courtesy of a Falcons’ technical foul. Peebles added four more points in the run to help Hartselle take an 8-5 lead. The Falcons went on an 8-2 run in a little more than a minute to take a 13-10 lead. Peebles and Trent Wright combined for the next five points to give the Tigers a 15-13 lead. Florence answered with eight straight points to take a 21-15 lead. Peebles and Wright scored the quarter’s final six points to tie the game at 21-21. Peebles finished with 15 points for Hartselle.

The Tigers opened the second quarter with an 8-3 run to take a 29-24 lead. Peebles opened the run with a layup and a free throw while Luke Ward closed out the run with five points, including a three-pointer. Florence responded with a 9-3 run to take a 33-32 lead. After a Peebles basket, Elijah Kellick took a pass on the baseline and slammed it home to give Hartselle a 36-33 lead. The Falcons finished the quarter on a 4-0 run to grab a 37-36 lead at halftime.

Florence opened the third quarter on a 12-4 run to extend their lead to 49-40, their largest of the game. The Tigers responded with a 12-5 run to close the gap to 54-52 to end the third quarter. Peebles had six points to lead the Tigers’ run. Kiah Key, Coleman Mizell, and Wright each added points to get Hartselle back in the game.

A Peebles three-pointer to open the fourth quarter gave the Tigers their first lead, 55-54, since late in the second quarter. The Falcons responded with a 10-5 run over the next five minutes to grab a 64-60 lead and for a Hartselle timeout with 2:38 left. Dunn hit a three-pointer out of the timeout and then Key pulled down a rebound and quickly drove to the other end of the floor for a layup to give the Tigers a 65-64 lead. 

The Falcons retook the lead at 66-65 with two free throws with 1:01 left. The Tigers were forced to foul following three consecutive empty possessions, but the Falcons could take advantage as they went 3-of-6 at the line. Florence took a timeout with 10.3 seconds left and leading by three, 68-65. The Tigers quickly inbounded the ball to Dunn, who turned and quickly drove down court to the basket for a layup. He was fouled on the play and converted the free throw to tie the game at 68-68. Following a desperation heave from the Falcons that missed the mark, the two teams headed to overtime.

The Falcons dominated the overtime period from the tip, going on a 10-0 run to grab a 78-68 lead. Ward ended the Hartselle drought with a bucket to make the score 78-70, but the Falcons answered with an 8-2 run to extend the lead to 86-72. After trading baskets, the Falcons led  88-74. Kohl Key hit a three-pointer to make the final score 88-77. 

Peebles finished with 39 points and four assists to lead the Tigers (23-3). He now has 2,950 points for his career.

Dunn added 12 points for Hartselle. Ward had seven points. Wright finished with six points, nine rebounds, and two blocks, while Kiah Key added six points, seven rebounds, and four steals.

Jeffrey Watson finished with 26 points, including 12 in overtime to lead Florence (10-11). Darian Joplin had 19 points, while Malik Hawkins had 10 points.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *