Ward’s buzzer beater gives Hartselle road win over Grissom

The Tigers found a way to get the win Friday night on the road at Grissom.

Trailing 61-59 with under 10 seconds to go, Trent Wright drove the left side of the floor to the basket for a shot to win the game, and it went long, and in the fight for the rebound, Kiah Key tipped the ball out to a wide-open Luke Ward with 2.5 seconds remaining.

Ward drained a three-pointer with 1.3 seconds remaining to give Hartselle a 62-61 victory. The three-pointer was his third of the game.

“The ball bounced out to me, and I let it go without hesitating,” said Ward. “It felt perfect coming off my hands.”

Hartselle (11-1) pulled off the dramatic victory despite trailing 51-46 to start the fourth quarter. The Tigers outscored Grissom 16-10 in the final quarter.

“We came out a little flat tonight, and Grissom took advantage of it to keep the game close,” Hartselle coach Faron Key said. “We did a lot of the little things that allowed us to stay in the game and ultimately head home with the victory.”

Grissom held a 17-12 lead following the first quarter.

The home-standing Tigers extended the lead to seven midway through the second quarter before Hartselle went on a 7-0 run to tie the game at 24-24.

Grissom’s  Izzy Miles answered the Hartselle run with four straight points to grab the lead at 28-24. The Tigers closed the quarter on an 11-4 run to take a 35-32 lead into halftime.

Hartselle extended the lead to 39-32 less than a minute into the third quarter. Grissom went on a 7-0 run to tie the game at 39-39. The teams swapped baskets over the next couple of minutes, with Hartselle holding on to a 46-43 lead. Grissom closed the third quarter on an 8-0 run to take a 51-46 lead into the final quarter.

The visiting Tigers opened the fourth quarter with a 4-0 run to get within one at 51-50. A 4-1 Grissom run extended their lead to 55-51 midway through the fourth. A Brody Peebles 6-0 run gave Hartselle a 57-55 lead, their first since late in the third quarter. After trading baskets, Hartselle held on to a 59-57 lead with a minute to go.

Grissom tied the game at 59-59 on a James Sheffield basket. They took the lead on two RJ Johnson free throws with 23 seconds remaining.

The Tigers set up the last-second heroics by Ward by fighting to the final horn and not giving up.

Hartselle was led by Peebles’ game-high 30 points and Ward, who added 10.

Johnson’s 26 points led Grissom.  Sheffield and Noah Edmonds added 12 points apiece.




1Brody Peebles30030
3Elijah Kellick5122
5Trent Wright6731
11Kiah Key7331
20Luke Ward10010
4Tevon Shields0110
15Coleman Mizell4100
34Treyce Oden0000



Leave a Reply